Thursday, November 29, 2012

Momma's Macaroni Pie



Momma’s Macaroni Pie
Thanksgiving has come and gone and Christmas is just around the corner.  One of the things that I remember doing as a child on these wonderful holidays is sitting at the kitchen table grating cheese for the big dinner to come.  When I moved so far away from home and had to cook a “big” dinner by myself the thing that I missed the most was Momma’s Macaroni Pie. 
I called her to ask her if she could send me an e-mail with the recipe and her response to me was, “I don’t really know what I put in there I’ve been cooking it for so long.  I can tell you what I put in there though”.  And so began the strangest conversation in cooking that I have ever had…
But after listening closely this is the best rendition that I came up with it is really close!

Cook elbow macaroni per the instructions on the box (Aldente).
Grate ¼ cup Pepper Jack cheese
¼ cup Muenster cheese
¼ cup Sharp Cheddar cheese
¼ cup NY Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese
When the elbow macaroni is done drain the water.  Do not rinse!
In an 8 x 10 or similar pan pour the HOT noodles in the pan.
Put ¼ cup butter, ½ cup milk and 1 cracked raw egg in the pan.  Mix until melted.  Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper (can adjust to taste). 
Take half of the cheeses and mix well into the hot noodles.
The remaining cheese evenly sprinkle on top of the noodles. 
Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about thirty minutes or until cheese is nice and bubbly.

Enjoy!

Is there anything that you remember cooking and eating on special holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment